Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Lucy Oozing and I Can’t Be Happier!

Ok, I know that’s gross, but real farmers don’t let a little goo dampen their spirits. I’ve been watching Lucy like a hawk for signs of going into heat, and I think it might have finally paid off. I had her locked up on the stanchion giving her hooves their second trimming (it will probably take a few to get them in any kind of decent shape after the neglect she suffered), when I smelled something, well, a little funky. I turned my head to the right to scope out her bottom a mere 10 inches from my face, fearing the worst. When Tierra was sick her butt stunk horribly from having diarrhea. But, lo and behold, no diarrhea smears, but a nice line of dirty goo hanging from her vulva. I’m super paranoid about seeing tapeworms hanging out of an animals butt, so that was understandably my first thought. Yes, of course, I have a picture!

Now aren’t you glad I’m thorough? ;) You can see that the underside of her tail is a little dirty, too, which is another sign of having discharge. Her vulva also seems a bit swollen, which are all signs of being in heat. I’ve been watching Louie for any signs of interest, but so far nothing. This could stem from a few things.

1. Lucy is not really in heat and I have no idea what I’m talking about. Very probable.

2. Louie does not have any idea what to do with a doe in heat.

3. Louie is gay.

4. Louie and Lucy have already satisfied their carnal little goaty needs unbeknownst to me, and now feel glowy and satiated and in need of a cigarette and have resumed life as usual. I don’t know if it works this way in the goat world. How do horny goats act after they’ve done the deed? Surely they don’t keep at it the whole 12-36 hours that she can be in heat, do they?

Guess I’ll just have to wait and see if she goes back in heat 18-21 days from now before I have any definite answers. If Louie continues to not do his job, I may try to find somebody local with a Pygmy buck to service her. Their babies would be what’s known as a Pygora. Here’s a picture of one.

No comments: