Thursday, October 25, 2007

Tierra Better!

Thank goodness. I saw her eating some fallen leaves in her pen yesterday morning and she actually ate a few cups of grain for Dustin when he got home from work last night, which we both took as a very good sign. Unfortunately, she had diarrhea again last night when I went out to milk her, but this time I think it might be because her rumen was not prepared to digest grain after going a couple days without any. Their rumen uses bacteria to digest their food, and any sudden changes in feed can send it into an uproar. This morning I only let her eat about a cup of grain, and so far so good. She seems to be over the worst of it, and has even started giving almost her normal amount of milk. I’ve continued to milk her while she’s sick, but she was only giving about and ounce at a time. I gave this milk to the chickens, as I do not feel right drinking raw milk from a sick goat.

No comments: