Saturday, February 2, 2008

Romping with Babies

These are a couple video's I took of the kids playing with mom this morning. It was the first time they've been out of the kidding stall, and Harmony was looking a little restless so I thought I'd let her out for a bit while everybody else was locked back in the pasture. Both my mom and I stood sentinel to keep them away from the water trough and the electric fencing. Even though its pretty warm out I kept their sweaters on anyway. It was a little windy. And I am a big advocate for overdressing babies, including my own.

The buckling has perked up nicely and was be-bopping all about the kidding stall this morning, just like his sister is in these videos. They're on opposite nap schedules, and he was falling asleep on his feet through most of these videos. I've come up with a name for him. He will be named Laurel Haven Mumble Britches, or Mumble for short. *giggle* When a baby is conceived while owned by somebody else, as in Harmony and Tierra's case, then the baby retains the previous owner's herd name. I have registered the name Gypsy's Dream with both the American Dairy Goat Association and the American Goat Society, so any future kids conceived and born on my farm with have my herd name as their prefix. You know it's killing me not to get to name my new babies with my herd name now. As for the doeling, I think I will wait to name her until Tierra has kidded, because I have a special name picked out for a girl, but I want to meet everybody before assigning it to somebody.

I had my mom take a picture of me and the little doeling to give some perspective to their size. Can you believe how tiny they are?!So now the countdown is on for Tierra. I get to do all of this over again! Only this time they will have huge droopy floppy ears! YAY!

4 comments:

goatgirl said...

Aren't they priceless? I am really excited for you. They are darling kids and that doe is a kick in the pants. She is full of it. Glad you are going to keep her.
Thanks for making me smile.

Unknown said...

Thank you SO much for posting these videos! They made me smile and laugh. How absolutely adorable! You must not be able to get anything done right now because it's got to be so hard to pull yourself away from these babies.

Marigold said...

Are you sure that isn't a wind-up toy? :)

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

Oh gosh! I just laughed out loud! Too darn sweet, those babies!

And you look positively glowing as if you gave birth yourself to those babies.