Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Reflecting on THE PLAN

Well, I just found an old blog that I did on Myspace back in June about the prospect of moving out here to the country. I have just posted that blog here on blogger, so if you scroll down to the very first entry, you will see it.

As you can see, I outlined the basic plan for the farm, and it is interesting to me to see how closely we've followed The Plan, and some things that we've decided to do differently.

For one thing, we were not able to start out with the Nigerian Dwarf goat breed, as they are prohibitively expensive and hard to come by in this area. It was much easier for us to start with a goat breed that is abundant in our area, which turned out to be the Nubian, which I had thought my least favorite. I had heard that they are very noisy and make themselves quite a bother. Living with Marek at the time, I could not handle the thought of having yet another animal contributing to the cacophony. But, Tierra was the first goat I found and am I ever so glad I did not trust unidentified voices on the Internet telling me that Nubians are terrible to own. She's a joy.

I still plan on breeding Nigerian Dwarf into my heard, and I would not even mind having crosses of all the full size dairy goat breeds mixed with the miniature stature of the Nigerian Dwarf. The NG breed is also known for its high butterfat content, which means you can make more cheese per gallon than you can from regular goat's milk. I would like the first buck I invest in to be a Nigerian Dwarf with good dairy characteristics. Here's what Tierra's offspring would possibly look like if I bred her to a NG. They'd be called Mini Nubians!



I also ended up with an Angora goat, which was not even mentioned in The Plan. I had thought that it would be fun some day to experiment with the Angora breed and see if you truly can make money from them. Well, now I get to experiment sooner rather than later! The way I have figured it, if I can get even a modest sum for her mohair, it should cover the cost of her yearly feed and maintenance, with a little left over. Add to that the profit if/when she kids each year (with a break here and there, of course), and she should turn a profit. In any case, she's the only animal here (other than Ambrose) who is a pet and gets to stay just cause. I would like to learn how to card mohair, dye it, and spin it. If I did those things it would be worth much much more.

Chickens. Check. Pretty much on track with The Plan when it comes to them. I've lost 5 in the past few months, and one of my Wyandotte hens ended up being a rooster. Oh, well.

Ducks. Oooooh I want ducks. I want them now. I'd like to convert the underside of our back porch into a duck house- still working on Dustin for that one. In my opinion, its just wasted space. All I'd have to do is enclosed the underside with some tastefully done (ha ha ha ha!) chicken wire, and then close in the section under the stairs as a waterproof nesting area. I think it'd make a bang-up duck shelter, someplace safe for them to call home at night. I'd also like to devise some sort of pet door in the chain link fence going to the pond so they'd be able to free range the yard and pond area during the day.

We're still on track with the bees, as we plan to get them in the spring. Not sure where we're gonna put them, but we'll find a place.

Another thing we've added to The Plan is gardening and possibly a pig (or two). I know what you're thinking, what on earth do you want a pig for? Well, we want to eventually grow all of our own produce and fruit, and gardening on that scale requires quite a bit of muscle. A pig can be a farmer's best friend when put to work effectively. You can temporarily pen them on an area to be rototilled, and they will methodically eat all the vegetation, root around in the soil and remove all existing roots, all the while working their own natural fertilizer into the soil. By the time they're done with it, its ready to plant! A single sow can produce about 20 piglets a year, which could be sold off as weaner pigs or raised out for pork. Throughout history the pig has been known as "The Irishman Who Pays the Rent" because they are ridiculously profitable even in times of depression. We don't eat much pork, but its never hard to find people willing to pay for fresh, organic pork fresh from the farm. Couple that with the gardening benefits and their labor-saving ways, they make a perfect addition to any homestead. All that being said, I am a little intimidated at the thought of owning a pig. I've spent the last year researching chickens and goats, and pigs are like an alien creature to me. We'll see what happens.

We also plan to start raising turkeys in the spring. I'd like to secure advance orders for heritage-breed organic Thanksgiving turkeys, and raise out enough to sell come November, plus enough for our own consumption, and also enough to start some breeding stock for future generations. Unfortunately, almost all turkey breeds have lost the ability to reproduce naturally due to genetic modifications, such as breeding them with breasts so large that they are physically incapable of doing the deed. Therefore, if you want any chance of turkeys that know how to be turkeys, you have to look at the rare old-fashioned breeds. I am passionate about supporting and maintaining the populations of heritage breed livestock, and would like to incorporate them in the future. Barbara Kingsolver, my favorite female author, says that the heritage breed turkey she raises, the Royal Palm, tastes unbelievable and is almost reminiscent of lobster. Yummmm!

9 comments:

Jennlala said...

I just found your blog last week through Belle and Marigold. I Love it! My husband and I just did the same thing this summer. Always wanted a place to grow our own food and want to try chickens and goats and turkeys etc. I also read Barbara Kingsolver's book and it is my guidebook.

We purchased 4 acres of total trees in June. We put our house up for sale and luckily it sold right away. But because of this, as of last Friday we are living in a 29 foot camper on the land w/out electric, water or sewer yet. We will be living in it no more than a year, I hope. My husband insists that he will be in charge and doing a lot of the work himself. I guess that is just such a man thing. ;o) We have approximately 50 huge old growth lob lolly pine trees we have to cut down to even get started. But we will be building small and energy efficient and heating mostly with wood and doing all the other "green" things we can afford to do there. My Husband grew up on a farm in Iowa so at least he has some experience at farming. But, get this, I am 57 and my husband is 60!! Sometimes I think we are totally nuts! But we better do this before we get any older. I think it was the Dennis Hopper commercial on TV that gave us the crazy idea to go ahead and just finally do it. It was about not giving up on your dreams when you retire. Go for them!!
So, anyway, I do seem to just ramble on and on but it is your blog and a few others I have found that give me encouragement and lots of good information to keep on working towards our dream! Even if I have to keep popping Aleve just to keep walking!! Thanks!

farm mama said...

Jennifer, it is great that you and your husband are going for your dream. I, too, read Barbara Kingsolver's book and it made me totally committed to do everything possible to buy locally and eat naturally. (I am 61 years old - never too old to change!)

Anonymous said...

I too just found your blog through Belle and Marigold. They live near me and I have been reading their blog for a few months now. What great writing all around! I too LOVE Barbara Kingsolver with The Prodical Summer being one of my favorite. Not to mention Poisonwood Bible, now I need to find the one you mentioned. I have had goats all my life. Ex Goat 4Her and probably the only teenager that read homesteading magazines in the '70s. My parents humored me and let me have all the critters and garden space I wanted even though it wasn't their thing. Imagine hauling your daughter around in the car to the goat show with her goat in the back seat. Now I have a few acres of my own and raise Nigerian Dwarfs and have a llama, a couple of pigs and a few hens. I am just about to get my first Nigerian buck. In all the years of having goats I have never had a buck. Should be interesting. He is only 8 weeks old so have a bit of time to get used to him before he does anything disgusting. Anyway I am enjoying your experiences on the farm. What a great place to raise your son. My son had a wonderful time living with the animals and it taught him more about life than you could imagine. I will have to tell you my experience with getting pigs for the first time in August.

goatgirl said...

P.S. Ducks can kind of stink so you might want to rethink your plan of putting them under the porch of your house. But they are a great addition to the farm, especially one with a pond!

Marigold said...

Dear DCV,
I whole heartedly recommend the Nigerian Dwarf breed. After all, I am half Nigerian Dwarf (I don't really claim the Nubian side) and my cute nephew, Peanut (and Baby Belle's grandson) is a Nigerian Dwarf. I think we are superior representations of the breed myself. :)

deconstructingVenus said...

Jennifer,
I think thats great! Good for you for following your dream, not matter what stage in life. You inspire me.

deconstructingVenus said...

Goatgirl,
I love to meet another Kingsolver fan. She's fabulous. You'll love her book Animal, Vegetable, Miracle. Its nonfiction, but its the story of how her family decided to eat nothing but local food for a year, and they raised their own chickens, produce, and turkeys. Its funny, freakishly intelligent, and terribly entertaining only they way she can be.
Tell me about your pigs! I'm scared to death.
I'm so jealous that you have ND goats. Thats what I really wanted, but they're too hard to come by for a poor first-timer. Keep me posted how the buckling turns out. I have an Angora buck on lease here right now, but he's about the least bucky thing I've ever seen.

deconstructingVenus said...

Marigold,
I knew deep down in my bones that the ND breed was what I am meant to raise. Cute, colorful, friendly, dairy... they've got it all. You and Baby Belle just prove it. Some day maybe I'll even get a comment from Baby Belle... then my cyber-goaty-world would be complete.

goatgirl said...

You have inspired me to start my own blog "Life beyond the Sidewalks" Check it out!! I will write about the pig experience. I can't wait to find Animal, Vegetable, Miracle. Freakishly intelligent is the perfect way to describe her writing