Saturday, March 8, 2008

My Goats Are Prejudice

And I can prove it. I went out to give Tiny her mid-day bottle just now and found everybody passed out in the barn. I had taken them for a field-trip to our empty lot next door full of bushes and green stuff and it must have taken more out of them then I thought. By the way, I'm proud to announce that Tiny, Sable, and Gypsy, the youngest of the bunch, were happily eating newly sprouted green leaves! Thats the first time I've seen them actually do more than thoroughly sniff plant matter. When I found them all asleep in the barn, though, what struck me is how every single breed slept separately. Here's Harmony, her mother Sahara, and soon-to-be herd sire Puck, all curled up together in one of the stalls. Here are the babies (save for Sable who had spotted me and came over begging to be picked up while I took this picture), and you can see that even they keep themselves separate, although I will give them the fact that they're all cuddling with their siblings and that is to be expected.Here's a typical picture of Louie and Lucy cuddling in the yard.Seeing them all like this today got me thinking and I realized I have NEVER seen cuddling between any of the breeds we have. Never. For heaven's sake, Lucy has just now stopped head butting all the Nigerians, some of whom have been here since like December.

4 comments:

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

I think you've got soemthing there!

Even my chickens tend to hang out with their own breed or coloring. And since I basically have two of each breed, my coop resemsbles Noah's Ark! haha

Your angora couple looks so adorable cuddling together. Are babies on the near horizon?

Did I mention that I will be purchasing two more angora goats next week?!
A female and a gelding.

Finally, Miss Luna will have some goat pals. I wonder if she will forgo her llama buddies in lieu of her new angora goat pals?

deconstructingVenus said...

Twinville,
how exciting about getting more angoras! I think Luna will love having some other goats around, although beware they're probably going to despise each other at first and there will be much headbutting. I learned this from bitter experience. I got a new goat, plopped it down in the pen and was like, "Look! Your new friends guys!" Seconds later I had a goat revolt with rearing and smashing heads and I looked on in horror. I've learned since then to put the new one in a secure area (in one of our stalls) and let them get to know each other in the safe way, sniffing noses. 24 hours later when I let the new one out there was a distinct lack of voilence, just some cursory whacks at him with heads, just enough to say, "By the way, I'm the boss here." Good luck!

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

Thanks for the very helpful tip!

I'll be sure to place the newcomers in the extra pen at the barn before letting them all out together.

One of the things I love about reading other's blogs: learning from those who have been-there-done-that! haha

Marigold said...

We don't sleep with those stupid boys. Ewwwww. The rest of us kind of just do our own thing. I guess we are too existential to be prejudiced.