Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Famous Shmamous

So the newspaper article came out. She misspelled my name, but what are you going to do. Everybody does. Even when I ask them 3 times if they for sure wrote it down correctly. Oh, well. I scanned it and here it is below (click to enlarge).Everybody at the library was abuzz with the news, and word even managed to reach Dustin's work in Charleston. Apparently one lady he works with lives in Jacksonboro, about 15 miles away, and brought the article to work where it made the rounds, finally being pinned up on the company bulletin board. He he. Dustin is slightly disturbed... he has this whole thing about keeping his private life private. I guess thats what you get when a young man works in an office setting full of middle aged gossipy women. I've tried to get him to sell some eggs there but he just looks at me in horror. ???

On another subject, I think one of my hens might be growing broody. What do you think?


That would be really great if a few would go broody on me because then I can let them raise their own stinkin' babies rather than have to stink up my guest room with them and pay to run an 85 watt red light 24/7.

The biddies I incubated are doing well and we have only lost one, surprisingly not the deformed one with the gimp leg, either. It was an Ameracauna one (wah!) and for some reason it was just not growing. It was a week old and by then was 1/2 the size of its siblings and just got wimpy and expired the next day. It particularly stinks that it was one of the Easter egg layers, but such is life. The gimp chick is not growing much and has not feathered out half as much as the others, but seems pretty vigorous and whatever it is hanging from its bottom must not have been vital! The picture below was taken when the chicks were not quite a week old. You can already see it's wing feathers coming in. You can see that this one is at least 1/2 Ameracauna because it has green legs.These guys don't waste any time! Here's a group picture of one of the brooders of chicks taken about a week ago. I'll try to post some more recent pictures tomorrow, I promise.

7 comments:

goatgirl said...

That is such a great article. I think it really captured you and what you are trying to do. Make sure you get a copy of that picture from the paper. It would be a good one for your website.

Danni said...

Oh, Kayte, this is so very cool. Or would you prefer to be called Katye now? (kidding, KIDDING!) Look at all that you have accomplished in just seven months - it's mind boggling. When I read the part about how BK's book inspired you, I had this sudden vision of her reading this article and contacting you. Now wouldn't *that* be cool? :-)

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

OM goodness~! I had goosebumps on top of goosebumps reading that article (though, even I was slightly annoyed that they got the spelling of your name wrong....C'Mon people! Write it the way it sounds! ugh!)

Anyway, I still found the article about you, your family and your farm dreams so thrilling and inspring. wow.

And I was so touched reading that Dustin traded an easier commute to help you in making your farmer dreams come true.....he's a super husband and friend!

You are truly blessed, girlfriend.

My favorite quotes were:
"I'm smart, I can do it"
"It's amazing what you can do when you have to"
and
"You never know what you're going to get"

and finally what they wrote at the end:
"Follow her dreams of being a farmer"

It just brought tears to my eyes!
You are not just following your dreams, sweetie, YOU are LIVING them!

I am SO unbelieveably happy for you.

(ps, And that picture of Louie(?) just made me laugh. What a cutie.)

Jederah said...

Bravo girl!

basicliving@backtobasicliving.com said...

Wow - how cool is that??? Maybe your egg sales will jump up a bit. I'm really proud of you.

Penny

Þustin said...

"you get your picture in the papes you're famous! you're famous you can do anything you want! and thats what's so great about new york!"
-newsies

ok, well, walterboro. so proud of you. if we all followed our dreams, would we all somewhere have our picture and story in the paper? it makes one wonder...muah.

Christy said...

I was in the paper once. They spelled my name wrong too!