Saturday, September 29, 2007

Tierra Graces Us With Her Presence

Well, today is the day. FINALLY. I feel like I’ve been waiting to own goats my entire life. I’ve literally read every thing in the Charleston and Colleton County Libraries that even so much as mentions a goat. All this research and not a single goat in sight to use it on. Well, all that has changed. Tierra arrived today! My Goat Mentor Casey and her wonderful husband Tim brought her out to Walterboro for us, about a 40 minute drive for them. She helped me get Tierra up on the stanchion and had me milk her…. with an audience, no less! Ayden was running around making a horrible amount of noise. My mother was there. Casey and her husband were obviously there. My mother-in-law, Jacqui, and cousin Lori were also there as spectators. Lori took some pictures with her cell phone of the grand event. Not the smoothest milking I hope to ever do, but you can’t afford to be shy when this is what you’ve always wanted to do.
So I just took a deep breath and got down to it.
After Casey and Tim left, Tierra moaned and groaned and made a holy racket out in the goat pen. She was NOT happy to be left alone. As long as one of us was out there with her, she’d stand around calmly and either munch on the vegetation or chew her cud. She’ll be fine once Lucy arrives tomorrow. Let’s just keep telling ourselves that. For now we have the window in the living room open that overlooks her pen, and my mom is sitting on the floor at the window talking to her. She seems to find comfort from it.

No comments: