Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Devastation.

Heres the thing: my farm got massacred by dogs two weeks ago while I was at work. They killed and mauled the goats, killed one of my chickens (the rest must have hid in the coop or something), they even killed our cat Ambrose! I came home to a battlefield scattered with bleeding and dying animals, with the occasional corpse to add flair. It was horrible. It completely devastated me. The worst part was calling every vet in town, only to be told that they only treat cats and dogs. So I'm standing over my 2 month old Sable who's neck is ravaged and she's just lying on her side crying and crying, and I can hear air escaping through a hole in her throat, and they wont come do basic first aid because she's not a dog. I screamed and cried and yelled and sobbed, but nobody would help me. So I called the sheriff and animal control, who showed up and looked around and the animal control officer said, "Wow. This is horrible. Let me go get my camera." I said, "Can't we help the ones that are still alive?!!" So she called in and checked and they told her "we don't treat goats" and that the best thing I could do was get a neighbor to put them down for me. After seeing this was not gonna fly, she gave me the names of some vets in neighboring towns, and to make a long story short, I finally found a vet who'd come from Summerville, an hour away. He showed up at about 8 pm, 5 hours after I got home and discovered what had happened. In the meantime, my mom and Dustin had left work and drove an hour from Charleston to come help, and Dustin's parents came to collect Ayden (who was having a grand time finding new dead animals and poking them with a stick- he's the one who found Ambrose). My goat mentor, Casey, drove 45 minutes to come help and showed up with a cooler full of medicines and supplies. Other goat people I'd met showed up, too, families in tow. They helped carry mauled goats from various corners of the property (even Tierra who weighs about 140 lbs!!) into the barn. After it was all said and done, I had 7 remaining goats with various degrees of damage, ranging from Tiny who was the only one completely unscathed, to Lucy who's eye we thought was gone along with a good part of her face, and Sable with the wheezing hole in her neck. Mumble had a bum leg, Tierra's one ear was completely detached from her head on the underside, multiple puncture wounds on her ears and neck, one front leg, and a few good tears on her side and udder. Louie, who I swear was dead when I first found him but must have merely been unconscious, had his ears in shreds with most of the skin just gone and huge chunks missing. He has so much hair it was hard to find wounds under it all, but that also probably protected him to some degree. Lucy's right eye was swollen shut and about a 2 inch diameter chunk of flesh missing around the eye, another hole on the bridge of her nose so that you could see into her sinus cavity, and another hole the size of a silver dollar on her opposite cheek. A dog had obviously been dragging her around by her face. Gypsy, who was missing for the first couple hours, was eventually found under the bushes by my front door, relatively unscathed but for a 2 inch hole on one of her back legs so that you could see the exposed tendon, and one front elbow a raw bloody mess. When the vet finally arrived, he took a look around and said, "Where do I start?" He'd brought his wife, also a vet, and a vet tech to assist, and together they worked on the goats for almost 3 hours, flushing wounds, giving steroids to fight shock, pushing fluids. We all did what we could to help, even getting down and giving injections for them. Amazingly, all the goats were still alive when I went out the next morning. I had to give antibiotic and pain medicine by injection twice a day for 7 days, which for 6 goats comes to a whole lotta injections! Sable had air under her skin from all the puncture wounds, and her entire torso was crinkly to the touch.

So the casualties were all of my Nigerian Dwarves except for Mumble. That means Harmony, Puck, and my sweet sweet silly Poe are all no longer with us. Sahara was still alive when I got home, but by the time the vet got here we all agreed we could not let her suffer any more and let him put her down. I think in the end their size worked against them. I still don't know how Mumble and Tiny were spared, but Mumble obviously got hurt somehow in the process. Perhaps they were hiding in the barn. Who knows?

One of the worst parts about this for me is thinking how the dogs were here until they simply got tired. Nobody stopped them or chased them off. They were here wreaking havoc and killing until they got bored. It makes me want to scream.

I realize now that I simply cannot keep them safe, so I have to get rid of them. The dogs jumped 3 separate fences to get to them, two chain link, and one electric netting. Since it happened I've had to resort to keeping them locked in the barn with the door closed, which goes against everything I believe in. Animals should be free to live as God intended. But, until a couple days ago they would not venture out even if I was sitting outside the barn door to babysit. Most of them did not even get up on their feet for 3 days, and Sable stood on her own after 6. She's my miracle baby. Her neck swelled to 3 times its normal size, but the whole time she ate and drank like a champ. That first day after the attack I tried to give her some milk in a bottle but stopped when I saw it dripping out the hole in her neck. :( Now she's up and venturing outside, although her neck is still curved and very swollen. I've even begun to think that it could possibly be broken. I've already found a new owner for Gypsy, who's coming to get her next weekend. She's going to breed mini-Nubians with her (she raises Nigerian Dwarves- the woman I bought all of mine from). I have a lead on new homes for Tiny and Louie and Lucy, also. My brother will be moving here in July and would like to take Tierra, Sable, and Mumble. So I just have to try to keep them alive and safe until then.

I've had many suggestions from people for ways to trap and kill my neighbors dogs (who I'm sure did this), ranging from hanging fish heads on industrial size treble hooks from a tree, pans of antifreeze, and simply shooting them. I am proud to say that thanks to my other brother, Mike, I now have a shotgun and riffle, and am just itching to use them.

So now we just don't know what our vision for the farm is, and I'm so hurt and disillusioned that I don't even know if this is a direction I want to go in anymore. Ironically, Dustin is the one who says no matter what happens, he wants to own at least 50 chickens and maybe even a couple goats if he could ever talk me into it again. The irony kills me.

But to experience first hand the fact that an entire dream/business venture can be wiped out in 5 hours while you're at work, from something you never could have prevented... it's just too much for me. We were supposed to pick up a livestock guardian dog puppy this month, but honestly, even with one guardian dog against a pack of what was very probably pit bulls (every manly wanna-be in Walterboro owns a pit bull), I most likely would have come home to a dead dog in addition to goats.

So now I'm a-dog-huntin.

36 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh my god!!! I am so sorry!!! I can not even imagine fow you must have felt, I hope you find the new role of your farm soon.

Danni said...

Kayte....this was devastating to read - I can't even imagine what you've been dealing with these last two weeks, let alone that evening you came home to find your babies senselessly mauled and killed. My heart and thoughts are with you - I am so damn pissed at these owners of the dogs that did this - they are the ones to blame, not the dogs. They should be tried and sentenced, at the very least. This is a crime that deserves punishment and I shudder to realize that this will most likely never happen. Please, please don't let this senseless tragedy take your dreams from you. Yes, you need to protect your animals, but there was nothing you could have done to prevent this - this should not and cannot alter your path...the one you have chosen. My thoughts are with you tonight. -danni

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

Oh sweetie!!!! I wish I could just wrap you in my arm and hug you tight! I had a strange feeling that dogs had attacked your animals from your last post. I knew it was something absolutely horrifying and I remembered how dogs had attacked your chickens before.
I'm so so very terribly sorry. While I was reading your post, my heart was aching painfully, seeing what you had seen and experiencing your poor sweet goats in pain and seeing the cat's and goats and chicken bodies strewn about senselessly.

I think my saddest moment came when you said you were planning on giving up your Gypsy...the namesake of your farm dreams.

Oh please, please please reconsider!!

I know you are just feeling helpless and hopeless, but you are a terrific goat and chicken mama and you shouldn't give up your dreams because of some stupid neighbors and their out-of-control mutts.

When we first moved in here last October, we had our rabbits up in the barn and a neighbors dog snuck up into our barn and ripped apart our bunny's hutch and then dragged her around our pastures until she was dead.
This happened during the middle of our House Warming Party and seriously put a damper on the festivities. My family was heartbroken~We even had the dog taken away by Animal Control, but another neighbor told the owner of the dog about their dog and they went and picked it up from the Shelter.

And ya know what??? That dog was out running free again just a week later! I wanted to kill it so badly! I wanted to run up to those neighbors and tell them off and ask for compensation of our bunny and hutch.
But noone will fess up for usre who that dog belongs to. And now the dog won't come onto our property anymore....because we now have serious defenses!

We got llamas. Big scary, canine killing llamas!

That bunny killing dog tried sneaking up into our barn about a month later and our llamas were READY!
They both went after that dog and ried gouging and ripping that dog apart with their front hooked claws! After the terrified dog escaped from the barn and started trying to run out of the pasture, both llamas, with necks snaking and voices screaming, chased that dog out of our pastures.....and that dog never tried to enter our property again.

Have I ever mentioned that LLAMAS ROCK?!!! They totally do!

Best of all, they literally adopt the goats and sheep as their own and act nurturing and protective of them as they would their own babies. It's really quite amazing and special.

Maybe a llama or two could come help you protect your critters?
They are very easy to care for and eat basically the same things as goats. And you'd have the fiber, too.

We don't really need a livestock guard dog, but my husband seems to feel that it would give us more protection against predatory attacks, especially since we do have mountain lions and bears up here.

Our friends up near Taos, NM have two Great Pyrenees and together they attacked and chased off several bears and a few coyotes that tried to attack and eat their sheep and lambs. Those dogs are fierce and protective...and HUGE! They are about the size of a small bear! hehe

So, we may be purchasing a Great Pyrenees soon to add to our little Fiber Farm.

Anyway, sorry for getting of on a ramble. BUt I just don't want you to give up your dreams. Your husband is so right. So listen to him!
Consider other options before liquidating all your goats and animals, ok?

There is a reason that your sweet Gypsy was spared and that she is still with you.

Danni said...

Wise, wise words from Twinville who always has very good ideas. I think her thoughts are very solid and might be good options for you to consider and would allow you to hang on to your beloveds and your dreams.

goatgirl said...

Kayte, I am so sorry that I don't know what to say. I'm with you. I think that it would be best if you could do away (if you know what I mean)with the dogs. They will do it again and obviously they are not owned by responsible people. I know your frustration with pitbulls and their owners. We had something like this happen down the street from me and the police were no help. The one remaining goat was saved by a 14 year old girl that kept the pitbulls at bay until help arrived. The dogs were returned to their owner. The owner of the goats was a well known vet in our area so the story got lots of attention.
I am so sorry Kayte. I knew it had to be something terrible to get you so down. This is the worst.

Robbyn said...

We are so so sorry for your losses! We are heartbroken for you and your animals.

Please don't give up; surely there is a way that would work to keep your dreams alive and protected.

Sending much love and many hugs your way...

Robbyn and Jack

ilex said...

I am so deeply sorry about your tragedy. And incredibly angry at the dog owners who let this happen. My heart goes out to you and your sweet goats. I'll be thinking about you. Please don't give up on this- the world needs more goat moms. I agree with Twinville- llamas truly do rock.

Carolyn said...

How awful! So sorry for your loss.

Carolyn

Anonymous said...

Oh My, I am sorry to hear what happened to your babies. I am glad to hear you now own a shotgun and rifle to handle the varmits around there. I hope that your dreams do not die along with the animals you loved so much Kayte. You are in our thoughts here.....

sugarcreekstuff said...

I am so sorry.
Those dogs had to have returned home bloody, I guess that must be ok in the owner/bastards' mind. What if it was a child!
I know it is easy to be defeated after what you went through. Take time and listen to what your heart tells you to do.

Eve said...

I dont know you Kayte but I cried and cried for you. You and your family are in my thoughts, I hope you find the dogs that did this. I love dogs but cant stand rotten owners. They will come back, I'm sure, I hope you can be there when they do.

Phelan said...

I too feel for you. I understand how you are feeling, we have had dog attacks and people stealing chickens. I know it is hard right now, I hope with time you can find heart in your farm once more.

Unknown said...

I am so sorry that you had to go through this ordeal. Remember, you have lots of friends who will support you no matter what you decide. When your wounds heal, I hope you can find the strength to redefine your dreams and go on.

Blessings to you and your family!

Christina

Anonymous said...

I'm am so sorry for you loss!!!! You and your farm are in my prayers!!!

Jennlala said...

I am so sorry. My heart aches for you and the fate of the poor, sweet animals. It also makes me very angry and I am glad you acquired a shot gun!!
Don't give up. I think you should consider what "twinville" said and look into Llamas. They would have a great home and also be some protection. Think it over.

frugalmom said...

I am so, so sorry. Try to stay positive. This was truly awful, but try not to let it steal your dream for you of having a farm. You were doing everything right about keeping your animals protected.

Anonymous said...

Kayte,
I know that was so hard for you to share, but thank you for letting us in. That was the worst day of your life and I pray that nothing as bad will ever happen to you again. Clearly, everyone feels for you and wants you to not give up. If you decide that a llama or a 10-foot fence or a report to an animal cop could help you, let us know. I will definitely support you financially if that will help keep the rest of your babies safe. The world needs you!
-Emilie

JB's Big and Small Worlds said...

I am so sorry to hear about this. This is terrible news and I am sorry to have to meet you in such a terrible circumstance. I hope you can get your farm back up and running. I would like to send you some purrs to help you through this.
--JB

Anonymous said...

I am so sorry to hear about your loss. I read about it Danni's site, on the way to critter farm.
I live in the country too and we have had wild dog packs come in and kill our goats also, but not to your extend. We got Jack the donkey and he does help but we lost a goat recently to wild dogs even with Jack here.
Hang in there and don't give up.

Anonymous said...

Oh, Kayte, my heart is breaking for you and your farmbabies. It was obvious something terrible had happened when we didn't hear from you for so long, but I never imagined this.
Please don't let these dogs and their irresponsible owners demolish your dreams. I know it's impossible to imagine the pain you've experienced, but please consider twinville's suggestions. Whatever you decide, it'll be the correct path for you and your farm, and we're here to support you.
You're always an inspiration, Kayte, and my thoughts and prayers are with you.

jayedee said...

my heart is broken for you! i'll be keeping you in my thoughts and prayers as you move thru these next difficult days! please don't give up your dreams!

Julie said...

I've cried for you! I can't even begin to imagine your pain. But I also couldn't imagine my life without my cats or your life without your animals. I wish you peace in the following days as you make your decision. Thank you to everyone who came to your support. Still in tears, Julie/KS

Mim said...

I'm so sorry this happened to you. I know you are hurting right now but if this is really your dream, hang in there. Find a way to protect your animals and I know just as your animals will heal so will you. Good luck.

Farmer Jen said...

It's always heartbreaking to lose any living thing, especially those that you love and care for. I am so sorry to hear of your losses. Please, please don't let your neighbor's stupidity and irresponsibility kill the dreams in your heart like they did your animals. That would be an even greater tragedy.

Perhaps there are ways you can still have your dreams and also keep your animals safe and happy. I never knew until reading Twinville's comment that llamas would scare off wild dogs. That is wonderful to know. We are here for you, let us know what happens please.

Anonymous said...

Dear sweet Kayte and Dut- I do hate this for you. It makes me ANGERY that others are so careless and irresponsible and those who are responsible have to take even more precautions to make up for the lack of others.

Your dream! will always be filled with obstacles and mountainous hurddles but it is not meant to keep you from achieving your dream- it is only to strenghten your will to reach it!

While this seems like something that is and un-overcome-able event, life will go on and you can see here you are surrounded by support. No matter what your decision- dont let the carelessness of a few others keep you from doing what you know is right! Because of you, our world is a better place and because of what you awareness of a better way of life is happening. Change is happening and you are apart of the big picture to the change that is taking place!

Because of you- I have started with my daughter an organically grown garden- no chemicals even using collected rainwater! Every decision I made was made with YOU- and how YOU would have done it. So far, we have begun growing watermellon, greanbeans, tomatoes, and eddible flowers!

We send you lots of warmth, hugs, and prayer!

Although a small offering, may I buy you a bail of hay?

Judy@nofearentertaining said...

I am so sorry for you. I can't even imagine the sense of loss you feel. My thoughts are with you.

Gypsy said...

Kayte, My heart aches for you. Having critters you have cared for and loved hurt or killed and there is nothing you can do is an awful feeling.

As many others have said- don't let this end your dream. Give yourself time to hurt, to heal, to prepare and start again.

deconstructingVenus said...

My goodness!!!!

I figured I'd probably get a big of a response from this post, but i never expected it to be to this degree! I am touched and overwhelmed.

You guys are too much. Really.

Emilie & Alicia,
You guys are amazing for wanting to contribute. Thats about the sweetest thing I can think of. We're flattered and have warm fuzzies, but you really don't have to follow through with it. ;)

As for the rest of it, guardian dogs, llamas, donkeys... tell you what: I'll post a new blog about all of that. :)

But I want to say thank you. For everybody's undending love and support and commiserations. Thank you.

Granny Sue said...

Adding another hug to those you've already gotten from so many others. You're not a quitter, that's obvious from your posts.

You were already considering a dog--you need one. I like the llama suggestion too. I've been down this same terrible road a few times in the 40years I've lived in the country. It's the raw side of country life--if it's not dogs, it's raccoons, minks, weasels, bears, coyotes, or foxes. Those perhaps are easier to understand than dogs, since we see dogs as our helpers. Yet my worst losses have been to dogs.

There is one thing that may or may not apply--in my state you can get some compensation for livestock killed by dogs. You've got the documentation with the police having been there. It's a small thing, but perhaps might be a little help in rebuilding your dreams. You might want to check on it, when you're able to.

Christy said...

I'm so sorry! This really is devastating. I feel like I knew your animals so well from all your writing about them. It makes me so sad to think about what you and they went through. I wish there was something I could do or say to make this better.

Jederah said...

Honey both me and my family feel awful about what has happened to you and the babies. We had been worried about you. We are keeping you all in our thoughts and in our hearts. We hope you reconsider farming and the goats, give yourself time though, I agree with twin though...llamas or a dog AND the guns..hell i'd donate to a guard llama fund.

Country Girl said...

Very sorry for your loss!

george said...

kayte -

i've never written you before, but have watched the progress of your farm from afar as someone with a similar dream. my heart aches for you and what you are experiencing.
what you must have witnessed is unthinkable.

but it is unthinkable, too, that in addition to your animals, these dogs could kill your beautiful dream. this is a devastating event, but in 10 or 20 years, it will have been one tragedy in a lifetime of little glories.

take some time to regroup; buy some llamas, buckshot some pitbulls, but i hope you don't abandon your farm. farming has forever included uncontrollable, unpreventable loss - from the weather or the wildcats or poachers. this is a contemporary farm, with contemporary dangers that are, indeed, horrible, but you could no more have prevented this than a crop farmer could prevent a draught.

you are a good shepherd to these animals, kayte, and a good example for the rest of us. please push onward, like you have with every other obstacle that has come your way...

my heart is with you - george

basicliving@backtobasicliving.com said...

Oh Kayte - I'm sitting here crying for you. I am so very sorry you've experienced this. As those before me have expressed, please do not let this destroy your dreams. Hang in there Kayte.

Penny

Sheryl at Providence North said...

Devastating! Just Devastating! I cannot imagine the heartbreak and anger!

I, too, would be dog hunting and I wouldn't rest until I had them.

Don't let our dreams die with a setback, as heartbreaking as it is. Life goes on. So must your's.

Anonymous said...

You've told me about this before, but reading this really struck a nerve...so sorry this had to happen to you...I would have been a hot mees. Animals (esp pets) are so much like children. You just want to protect them! Poor innocent souls. -Krista R